Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Poverty is Better than Regret

I'm going to India in March. Yeah, it's funny how things work. Just a week ago, spending 17 days in India soaking up the culture couldn't have been further from my mind. But then I got a surprise email from my high school. They're organizing a trip to India for spring break (I know, much cooler than South Padre, right?) and they decided to extend the invitation to alums. The best thing about this is that it's being led by my favorite teacher, David Weidman. He was the theatre director back when theatre was the best thing in my life, and he was an indispensable mentor. For the purposes of this trip, it doesn't hurt that he was raised in India. I was conflicted, because the trip costs $3500, which is about $3500 more than I can afford for a trip of this kind. After considering it from a dozen sides, I decided I'd be crazy not to go. I asked my friend Mike for advice, and he said, “Poverty is better than regret.” Fuckin’ a.

No comments: